Friday, March 20, 2009

1976 Topps #10 - Lou Brock


This story has to do with 1975, but I'll mention it anyway.
It was September and I was very close to completing my 1975 Topps set. It was my first year of trying to complete a set. I had spend many allowances at the nearby Circle K on baseball cards and Wacky Packages stickers. For some reason, Lou Brock was really hard to get. Early one Saturday morning I went across the street to Jimmy's house. In the window screen I saw two Lou Brock cards. Jimmy was a real wheeler-dealer, and itt cost me a lot of football cards to get one of those Lou Brocks. I didn't care -- it was only football. :)
I still have that card. I've since upgraded, but I'll always remember how hard it was to get my '75 Lou Brock.

3 comments:

  1. Here's a puzzle. I always thought that was Frank Taveras behind Brock, but I looked up the uniform numbers on Baseball Almanac, and Taveras wore #10. There was no #2. The only shortstops with a 2 in the number were Craig Reynolds (#12) and Paul Popovich (#24). I looked in 1974 to see if it was an old picture. Nothing different.

    The Pirates are wearing home uniforms and Brock's in a road uniform. There is no game where Reynolds or Popovich played short against the Cardinals in Pittsburgh in 1975.

    It also appears to me to be a day game. The only day games Brock played in Pittsburgh in 1975 were 9/20 (on 2nd in the 7th and 8th) and 9/21 (on 2nd in the 7th). Taveras was playing shortstop all three times Brock was on 2nd.

    The only thing I can think is that Taveras was wearing a different number because it sure looks like Frank. I'd like to know about the number now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah--that definitely looks like Frank. Perhaps something happened to his uniform and he had to wear another one that day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the best Brock cards Topps released. Perfect photo for a Hall of Fame base stealer.

    ReplyDelete