- Bob Davis was a catcher in the majors from 1973-1981. Davis was drafted by the San Diego Padres in 1970. After playing in the minors for a few years Davis played in five games to open the 1973 season. He went 1 for 11 and was sent back to AA Alexandria. Bob batted .283 with 12 HR for Alexandria in '73.
- Davis was in AAA Hawaii in 1974. He started the 1975 season with Hawaii and was batting .329 when he was called up to the Padres in mid-July. Bob batted .234 in 43 games for the Padres in 1975. Davis backed up Fred Kendall in 1976 and batted .205 in 51 games.
- Davis was a backup again in 1977 and batted .181 in 94 at bats. Davis shuttled between Hawaii and San Diego and batted .200 in 40 at bats in 1978. An interesting story with Davis in it: Padres owner Ray Kroc fired manager Alvin Dark during the 1978 spring training. Roger Craig was named as the interim manager. Davis hit a game-winning home run in Craig's first game. During the post game press conference Craig was being introduced as the interim manager when Kroc interrupted and said, "Take away the interim tag. Craig is our manager. After all, anybody who can turn a .180 hitter into a home run hitter has to be a great manager." (from Tales from the San Diego Padres by Bob Chandler) After the 1978 season Bob was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in the rule 5 draft.
- One of San Diego broadcaster Jerry Coleman's quotes: "Bob Davis has his hair differently this year, short with curls like Randy Jones wears. I think you call it a Frisbee."
- Bob was a backup catcher in 1979 and batted .124 in 89 at bats. He got more playing time in 1980 but was unable to do much with the bat, batting .216 in 218 at bats. After the 1980 season Davis was released by the Blue Jays.
- Davis caught on with the California Angels in late April of 1981 and spent most of the season with AAA Salt Lake City. Bob got into one game for the Angels on September 9, 1981 and went 0 for 2. Davis was released after the 1981 season and he retired at the age of 29.
1981 Donruss, John Castino
9 minutes ago