Sunday, June 19, 2011

Thanks Dad

  • My father introduced me to baseball cards in 1974. I was seven years old at the time. 
  • I remember getting a "Hank Aaron Special" card in the first pack. I think it was card #4
  • We watched Aaron break the home run record on TV at a neighbor's house

  • My dad tried to get me to realize that keeping cards in good shape was important, but it didn't really sink in for a few years. We used to beat the heck out of our cards by flipping them and just handling them a lot. 




  • He also tried to tell  me about which cards were more important and valuable. At the time I just liked to get the cool-looking "in action" types of cards

  • During that summer my parents were trying to teach me how to swim. My father was in the pool at O'Neil Park and tried to get me to jump in. I was scared and wouldn't do it. He said that he would buy me 50 baseball cards if I would jump in. I still resisted. He increased the offer incrementally until I finally took the plunge at 200 cards. I couldn't find a picture of the pool, but above is a picture of the field where I played a lot of little league games.


  • My dad did a lot for me. He taught me to read at a very early age. He tried to get me interested in a lot of things. Some of them took (reading and baseball) while others didn't quite stick (hunting and fishing). 
  • But the important thing is that he loved me and cared about me. He did a lot that helped make  me who I am today. Thank you Dad and happy Father's Day!




3 comments:

  1. Love the swimming story! That is hilarious! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best posts ive read in a while.

    Your Dad sounds like an amazing human!

    ReplyDelete