- By the time this card was released Mike Thompson had already pitched in his last major league game. Thompson pitched in the majors in 1971 and from 1973-1975. Mike was drafted by the Washington Senators in 1967. Mike pitched in the minors from 1967-1971. In 1971 Thompson had a short stint with the Senators in May and was brought up again in late July. In all Mike pitched in 16 games (12 starts) and was 1-6 with a 4.86 ERA.
- Thompson was in the minors again in 1972. Before the 1973 season Thompson was traded to the St. Louis Cardinals for Charlie Hudson and Mike Nagy. Thompson spent most of the 1973 season in AAA. He made two September starts for the Cardinals (no record, 0.00 ERA in four innings).
- Mike started the 1974 season with St. Louis and was 0-3 with a 5.63 ERA in 19 games (4 starts). Thompson was sold to the Atlanta Braves on September 17. He made one start for the Braves (no record, 4.50 ERA in four innings) in 1974.
- Thompson played in his last major league season in 1975. He went 0-6 with a 4.70 ERA in 16 games (10 starts).
- Just before the 1976 season Mike was traded to the Cincinnati Reds for Terry Crowley. Thompson spent the season in AAA Indianapolis. After the 1976 season Mike was traded to the Texas Rangers for a minor leaguer. Thompson retired rather than report to the Rangers.
1981 Topps Batting Leaders
27 minutes ago