- Steve Mingori pitched in the majors from 1970-1979, mostly for the Kansas City Royals. Steve was mostly a relief pitcher -- he started only two games in his career. Mingori was signed by the Cincinnati Reds in 1965. Steve pitched in the minors from 1965-1969 without making the Reds ballclub. After the 1969 season Steve was traded to the Cleveland Indians for Jay Ward.
- Mingori started the 1970 season in the minors and was brought up to the Indians in August. Steve pitched in 21 games and was 1-0 with a 2.66 ERA. Mingori was with the Indians for the entire 1971 season. He pitched in 24 games and had a 1-2 record with four saves and a 1.43 ERA.
- In 1972 Mingori was a closer (along with two other pitchers) and recorded ten saves. He also was 0-6 with a 3.95 ERA in 41 games. Steve spent some time in AAA in July of 1972.
- Steve started the 1973 season in the minors. He pitched in five games for the Indians in 1973 (0-0, 6.17 ERA) before being traded to his hometown Kansas City Royals on June 8 for Mike Jackson. Mingori then spent about a month with Kansas City's AAA Omaha club before being called up in mid-July. Steve pitched in 19 games for the Royals (including starting the last game of the season on September 30) and was 3-3 with one save and a 3.04 ERA.
- Mingori started the 1974 in Omaha. He was recalled in May and was in the majors to stay until his retirement in 1979. Steve was 2-3 with two saves and a 2.81 ERA in 36 games in 1974. In 1975 Mingori was 0-3 with two saves and a 2.50 ERA in 36 games.
- Steve was used as the left-handed closer (Mark Littell was the righty closer) in 1976. Mingori went 5-5 with ten saves and a 2.32 ERA in 55 games during the 1976 season. Steve pitched in three games in the ALCS and saved game 4. He had a 2.70 ERA in 3.1 innings during the series.
- Mingori had another good season out of the bullpen in 1977. He was 2-4 with four saves and a 3.09 ERA in 39 games. During the 1977 ALCS Steve pitched in three games and didn't allow a run in 1.1 innings.
- Steve was 1-4 with seven saves and a 2.74 ERA in 45 games in 1978. He appeared in game 1 of the ALCS and allowed three runs in 3.2 innings.
- Mingori had a rough year in 1979. He went 3-3 with one save and a 5.79 ERA in 30 games. He pitched in his final game on September 2, 1979 and was released after the season.
- Steve had back trouble that caused him problems after his career. He coached for the Toronto Blue Jays for a time in the early 1990s.
- Steve died of natural causes on July 10, 2008.
- Liked to face: Jack Brohamer (.000 in 11 AB); Ken Henderson (.077 in 13 AB); Chris Chambliss (.125 in 24 AB)
- Hated to face: Rod Carew (.500 in 24 AB); Bucky Dent (.476 in 21 AB); Mickey Stanley (.467 in 15 AB)
Tim Nedin, That Pitch - 16
2 hours ago