- George Mitterwald was a catcher in the major leagues from 1966-1977. Mitterwald was signed by the Minnesota Twins in 1965. He played in the minors from 1965-1968 and he got short looks by the Twins in 1966 (1 for 5 in three games) and in 1968 (.206 in 11 games).
- George became John Roseboro's backup catcher in 1969. He batted .257 in 69 games as the Twins won the AL West. Mitterwald batted .143 in the 1969 ALCS.
- Mitterwald became the starting catcher for the Twins in 1970. He batted .222 with 15 HR in 117 games during the regular season and went 4 for 8 in two games in the 1970 ALCS. George batted .250 with 13 HR in 125 games in 1971.
- George split time behind the plate with Glen Borgmann and Phil Roof in 1972 and batted .184 in 64 games. Mitterwald got his starting job back in 1973 and had his best year, batting .259 with career highs in home runs (16) and RBI (64). After the 1973 season George was traded to the Chicago Cubs for Randy Hundley.
- From 1974-1976 Mitterwald and Steve Swisher shared the catching load for the Cubs. In 1974 George batted .251 in 78 games and in 1975 he batted .220 in 84 games. On April 17, 1974 George hit three home runs in one game (he doubled in his other at bat). Mitterwald batted .215 in 101 games in 1976.
- In 1977 George was the starting catcher and batted .238 with nine homers in 110 games.
- Mitterwald became a free agent after the 1977 season and signed with the Seattle Mariners. He didn't make the Seattle ballclub and played for Seattle's AAA San Jose club in 1978. George retired after batting .162 in 21 games for San Jose.
- Mitterwald managed the Duluth-Superior Dukes minor league ballclub in 1997 and managed Ila Borders, who was the first woman pro pitcher. The Dukes won the Northern League Championship in 1997.
- Liked to face: Joe Horlen (.538 in 13 AB); Tommy John (.442 in 43 AB); Fritz Peterson (.440 in 25 AB)
- Hated to face: Bill Parsons (.000 in 14 AB); Sam McDowell (.043 with 12 SO in 23 AB); Dave McNally (.100 in 20 AB)
Doug Peters, Good Control - 22
42 minutes ago