- Tom Griffin pitched in the majors from 1969-1982. Griffin was a first round draft pick of the Houston Astros in 1966. Although he had a 7-14 record with a 4.34 ERA in AAA in 1968 Tom was called up to the majors in 1969. He was in Houston's starting rotation and went 11-10 with a 3.54 ERA in 31 starts in 1969.
- Griffin struggled in his next two seasons. He was 3-13 with a 5.76 ERA in 23 games for the Astros in 1970. Tom was sent down to the minors in August and made five starts in AAA. In 1971 Griffin started the season 0-5 with a 5.08 ERA before being sent down to AAA. He came back in September and ended up with an 0-7 record.
- Tom was a reliever and spot starter in 1972. He made 39 appearances (5 of them starts) and was 5-4 with 3 saves and a 3.24 ERA. Griffin missed about five weeks of the 1973 season. He went 4-6 with an ERA of 4.15 in 25 games (12 starts).
- Griffin became a starter in 1974. He started 34 games and was 14-10 with a 3.54 ERA. Tom had injury problems again in 1975. He didn't appear in any games after June 24. He ended up 3-8 with a 5.33 ERA in 17 games (13 starts).
- Tom was 5-3 with a 6.05 ERA for the Astros in August of 1976 when he placed on waivers and claimed by the San Diego Padres. Griffin started 11 games for the Padres and was 4-3 with a 2.94 ERA. The Padres used Griffin as a fifth starter and long reliever in 1977. Tom went 6-9 with a 4.40 ERA in 38 games (20 starts). After the 1977 season Griffin became a free agent and signed with the California Angels.
- Griffin missed three weeks in May of 1978 with an injury. He went 3-4 with a 4.02 ERA in 24 games (4 starts). Tom was released after the season. He was invited to spring training in 1979 with the San Francisco Giants and made the club. Tom went 5-6 with 2 saves and a 3.91 ERA in 59 games (3 starts) for the Giants in 1979.
- Griffin had a similar role for the Giants in 1980. He made 42 appearances (4 starts) and was 5-1 with a 2.76 ERA. In 1981 Tom went into the Giants' starting rotation. He was 8-8 with a 3.76 ERA in 22 starts in 1981. After the season Griffin was traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Doe Boyland.
- Tom had a rough time with the Pirates. He was 1-3 with an 8.87 ERA when he was released on May 15.
- Liked to face: Bob Watson (.000 in 14 AB); Gary Carter (.080 in 25 AB); Ivan De Jesus (.095 in 21 AB)
- Hated to face: Billy Williams (.485 in 33 AB); Ken Griffey (.480 in 25 AB); Bud Harrelson (.448 in 29 AB)
2017 Topps 1987 Topps #87-62 Aaron Nola
5 hours ago